Celebrating one's self!!

Thursday 8 March 2012

You may or may not know that it is International Women's Day today! This has got me thinking about my identity as a woman and what being a woman means to me..............

I have never really felt like "a woman", in fact I still have days now when I feel like a 15 year old girl! But now that I am approaching my 35th birthday and have gone through some major life changes I'm starting to get a bit more comfy with this title.

I think that maybe becoming a mother has helped this and I'm sure others will agree with me on this. Before baby came I still had so many of my girlish ways, playing at life dipping in and dipping out of things, I had made a commitment to this guy who said he wanted children with me but that commitment never really rang true until our little girl arrived.

All of a sudden I wanted to be a better person, for me but for her too, I wanted to set an example, be someone she could be proud of and I wanted her to grow in to this awesome woman who will achieve great things. I knew it was down to me to guide her in to being all she could be as a woman, her dad has all the smarts and will teach her endless amazing things that I will never be able to like maths, how to change a tyre and to burp the alphabet but it was my job to help her blossom into everything womanly.

All these thoughts and feelings still go round in my head about who my daughter will be and motivates me to be all I can be, this in turn has helped me to understand myself more and appreciate how much I enjoy being a woman of this world. So back to my question, what does being a woman mean to me? Well some one who has created life with the man I love, and supports others to do the same in which ever way makes them happy and proud, being able to set a good example to my peers and support them on our journey through life, being a woman means loving every bit of myself, lumpy and bumpy bits included and always knowing that I have the power to be the best I can be, not just for me but for others especially for my daughter because being a woman means celebrating that too with everyone around me!

No comments:

Post a Comment